International Students

Studying in Australia:

A Path to a Healthcare Career

For international students aspiring to study and work in the healthcare sector, Australia offers a unique and promising opportunity. This summary outlines the key aspects of studying in Australia, focusing on the healthcare sector, to help prospective students make an informed decision.


Australia is renowned for its world-class education system. The country is home to several prestigious universities and institutions that consistently rank among the top in global rankings. For healthcare-related studies, universities like the University of Sydney and the University of Melbourne offer outstanding programs in medicine, nursing, pharmacy, and allied health sciences.


Australia boasts a robust and world-renowned healthcare system. This provides international students with a unique chance to observe and learn from a system known for its excellence in patient care and medical research. Access to state-of-the-art medical facilities and laboratories is invaluable for those studying healthcare-related disciplines.


Australia’s high quality of life, stunning landscapes, and diverse cultural experiences make it an attractive destination for international students. The country’s commitment to safety, multiculturalism, and a welcoming environment ensures that students feel comfortable and supported throughout their academic journey.

Studying in Australia presents a golden opportunity for international students seeking a career in the healthcare sector. With top-notch education, post-study work prospects, and exposure to a world-class healthcare system, Australia provides the ideal platform to kickstart a successful and fulfilling healthcare career. Aspiring healthcare professionals can rest assured that their decision to study in Australia will be a significant step towards achieving their goals.

Student Visa (Subclass 500)

Before embarking on your journey to study in Australia, it is imperative to familiarize yourself with the requirements outlined on the Department of Home Affairs Protection website. This comprehensive resource will provide you with essential information regarding student visa prerequisites and studying in Australia.

The Student Visa (Subclass 500) is the primary visa category for those aspiring to pursue studies in Australia. This versatile visa allows you to apply for various types, depending on your intended course of study:

  • School: Suitable for primary or secondary education.
  • Secondary School Exchange Program: Ideal for those participating in exchange programs.
  • English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS): Tailored for language courses.
  • Vocational Education and Training (VET) Courses: For registered VET courses or advanced diploma programs.
  • Higher Education Courses: Applicable to bachelor’s, associate degrees, graduate certificates, graduate diplomas, master’s degrees by coursework, higher education diplomas, or advanced diplomas.
  • Postgraduate Research Degrees: Designed for those pursuing a master’s degree by research or a doctoral degree.
  • Non-Award Courses: Suited for non-award foundation studies or specific course components that do not lead to an academic award.
  • Students Sponsored by Government Departments: Available for students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Trade or the Department of Defence.


What are the privileges associated with this visa?

  • Study: You are authorized to enroll in a registered full-time course in Australia.
  • Family Accompaniment: Eligible family members can join you during your stay in Australia.
  • Employment: You and your family members can generally work for a specified number of hours, allowing for financial support during your studies.
  • Duration: Typically, you can remain in Australia until the completion of your course, ensuring you have ample time to achieve your educational goals.


By adhering to the student visa requirements and understanding its benefits, you can make a well-informed decision to embark on your educational journey in Australia, ensuring a smooth and enriching experience.

Certificate IV in Disability


Certificate III in Individual Support


Diploma of Leadership and Management


Employment Opportunities

With an array of services spanning staffing solutions, aged care residential facilities, Hospital in the Home (HITH) solutions, homecare support, personal care, disability support, allied health services, and domestic assistance, Meditech Staffing works with Meditech Training College to offer employment opportunities for students completing the CHC33021 Certificate III in Individual Support and CHC43121 Certificate IV in Disability Support. All roles are subject to successful recruitment with Meditech Staffing.

Roles required for the Australian healthcare sector include:

  • Aged Care Workers/Carers: A significant portion of job growth is likely to be in direct care roles, where individuals assist the elderly with daily activities, personal care, and companionship. These roles are required in various settings, including residential care facilities, home care, supported independent living facilities and community-based services.

  • Personal Care Assistants: With a focus on maintaining personal hygiene, grooming, mobility, assistance with medication and overall well-being, personal care assistants play a vital role in helping the elderly with their daily living and ensuring their comfort and safety.

  • Home Care Workers: As many seniors prefer to age in their own homes, the demand for home care workers providing assistance with daily tasks, meal preparation, medication management, and companionship is expected to increase significantly.

  • Case Managers and Coordinators: With a more diverse and complex range of care needs, there will be a need for professionals who can develop and coordinate care plans, manage care needs, assist with Government funding, liaise with families, and ensure holistic support for the elderly.


Sydney Office

4A 9-13 Redmyre Road Strathfield NSW 2135


Frequently Asked Questions

What visa should I apply for?

Before lodging your application, you are strongly encouraged to visit the website of the Department of Home Affairs  for more information about your visa options and the visa requirements if you wish to study in Australia. 

Can I work in Australia while I study?

International students in Australia on a Student Visa (with work rights) can work up to 24 hours per week.  Students on working Holiday Visa are permitted to work full-time. 

Will I have access to computers during my studies?

Students will be required to bring their own computer to class. All computers must have access to internet, webcam, email and MS Word, Adobe software and computer no older than 5 years.

What if I fall behind with my studies. What support will I get?

We have dedicated 1:1 support sessions for all students. To schedule one of these, please email:

Do I need to have Health Cover/Insurance?

It is a Student Visa condition that you have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your stay in Australia. OSHC will contribute towards medical and hospital expenses that you may incur. The Academy can assist you with this process. If you require OSHC, please indicate this in your “Application for Admissions” form.

Where do I get more information?

Information for international students is available across a range of Government agencies, including: